Someone asked me the other day for a list of book recommendations because, not to toot my own horn or anything, but apparently I have good taste in books. I did graduate college with a degree in English, so I did spend four years of my life reading and studying the greatest books written throughout history. So I will take pride in my good taste in books!
I decided to just go ahead and make a blog post about my favorite book recommendations because someone out there might really want a new book to read on vacation or to add to their summer reading list. So here we go! I broke it down into genres and wrote a description by each one so you can tell if it will tickle your fancy or not:
Thrillers: (this is my favorite genre right now!)
– In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware – this one is about a bachelorette party gone horribly wrong. I was actually pretty scared at one point in the book but it was impossible to put down. If you like murder mysteries then you will love this book. It’s actually on Reese Witherspoon’s Book Club List and a rumor went around that it was going to be turned into a movie!
– The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine – I actually dedicated an entire blog post to this book because it was so amazing. The whole book is full of twists and “wtf” moments. Especially if you like the luxury high life, designer name dropping books and TV series, you will really enjoy this one.
– Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter – I just finished this book! At one point in the story I had to get up and take a lap around the house to make sure all of our doors were locked. Haha! This book was sooo good, y’all! Some parts are kind of graphic but the storyline is absolutely insane (in a good way). The beginning is kind of confusing but a few chapters in it all comes together and then you won’t be able to put it down. Definitely will be loaning this book out to all of my friends!
– The Girl’s Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank – this book consists of multiple stories about one girl’s encounters with love – whether that be her own relationships or family members’ or friends’ or neighbors’ – but they all provide very good life lessons about love and different kinds of relationships. After I read this book I felt so happy and content and more insightful about love and the relationships that I’ve been in.
– Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close – this book truly changed my life. If you couldn’t tell from all of the sticky notes in my copy of Girls in White Dresses (LOL!), this book was very noteworthy because it was so relatable and every chapter and every story I just kept thinking to myself, “omg this is exactly what I’m going through” or “omg this was me last year/month/week”. It’s a collection of stories about a group of girl friends who are all at different stages in their life, at the same age. Some are struggling with their careers, some are struggling with their relationships, some are getting married and having children, some are having family issues. I really enjoyed it because some of the stories are from the point of view of the single girl watching her friends getting married and having kids. Or from the POV of the recent grad working as a bartender because she hasn’t found a normal 9-5 career yet. It’s just so relatable and such good insight on how everyone goes through these same situations and it always turns out okay, even if you don’t get married or don’t have these hugely successful career as an executive.
All of the books above were such a good read, and I would not recommend them unless I truly loved them. I have a few books on my reading list currently, both thriller and chick lit. If any of them are truly noteworthy I will update this post about my favorite book recommendations or I will just write another post altogether!
What book recommendations do y’all have for me?!